There are 1440 minutes in a Day, What are You Doing with Yours? No matter who you are, from the guy down the street to Oprah, we all get the same number of minutes in each day. Its how we use them (or don’t use […]
Meditation is more common place now that it has ever been before. There are many studies that have proven the positive benefits of mediation and many people believe in the power of meditation.
What is meditation?
Meditate verb med·i·tate \ˈme-də-ˌtāt\: to spend time in quiet thought for religious purposes or relaxation; to engage in contemplation or reflection; to engage in mental exercise (as concentration on one’s breathing or repetition of a mantra) for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness
Source: Merriam-Webster’s Learner’s Dictionary
For some, meditation still seems very foreign and unusual, possibly something one may never consider. However, reading through the definition, there is no hocus pocus or off the wall practice guidelines here.
In fact, many would consider prayer a form of meditation, as well as walking outside quietly or in deep thought. There is no right and wrong with meditation but the benefits are quite lengthy!
Below is a compiled list of just a few of the benefits daily meditation can bring to a person’s life. If you have never meditated before, give it a go! You may be surprised how your body responds or even that you enjoy it!
To your health!
- Relief from stress and anxiety – Meditation mitigates the effects of the “fight-or-flight” response and decreases the production of stress hormones.
- Decrease in blood pressure, hypertension and cholesterol levels.
- More efficient oxygen use by the body and provides for a more restful sleep.
- Increased production of the anti-aging hormone DHEA, slows aging, reduces bias and increases acceptance.
- Increases self-awareness, social connection & emotional intelligence.
- Increases happiness, positive emotion and makes you feel less lonely.
- Improves concentration and brain cognition, as well as reducing
- Improves your memory, increases cortical thickness in areas related to paying attention and focus.
- Encourages a healthy lifestyle and increases body satisfaction.
- Benefits cardiovascular and immune health and decreases pain and inflammation at the cellular level.
- Decreases and may prevent depression and anxiety.
- Improves your ability to regulate your emotions and your ability to introspect, as well as increasing your ability for compassion.
- Increases volume in areas related to emotional regulation, positive emotions & self-control.
- Improves your ability to be creative & think outside the box
Ever heard to “Shop the Perimeter” of your local grocery store? Most of the fresh produce, dairy, eggs, meat and seafood is located around the perimeter of the store. While the inner aisles are more commonly where the processed foods are located. I’ve created a […]